St Margaret's, Alderton
St Margaret's, Alderton
The small village of Alderton stands on the border of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire. In fact, it is so close to the country boundary that there is a local tradition that a landslip 'moved' the village into the next county.

We know that there was a Saxon chapel here before the Norman Conquest, but the attractive, large church we see today is almost entirely 14th century. That church probably did not include a tower, which was added in the 15th century.
We know that St Margarets was a chapel associated with Winchcombe Abbey in 1125, and the first known rector was n 1283. By that time the chapel had become a full-fledged paris church.

The only surviving feature of the original Saxon church is a worn font bowl, found during Victorian restoration work and now stored rather oddly in the south porch, where I found it jammed in next to the garbage bin.
14th century statue of St Margaret
14th century statue of St Margaret
The current font is not that much younger, however, dating to the late 12th or early 13th century. The chancel arch is of a similar date, with a pointed arch but undecorated capitals. A few nicely carved fragments of Norman stonework is set in the south wall of the chancel. There are three medieval niches, one on each side of the chancel arch and another over the south door. The south doorway niche houses a very worn, headless statue of St Margaret.
The nave arcade is 14th century, with slender arches and columns set on octagonal bases. Set into the south wall of the chancel is a 14th century piscina and in the window over the piscina are several fragments of medieval glass.
Among the memorials is a very nice tablet to Rev Henry Higford (d. 1795). It is fascinating to read the inscription, which seems to focus almost exclusively on building up Higford's ancestry. The text reads in part,
'His family was, originally, of Middleton Huggefore in Shropshire. They, afterwards, settled in Warwickshire and have since resided at Dixton in this county. In the Possession of considerable estates, above 500 years. Many of his ancestors lie buried in this Chancel. In memory of them, and more especially, in Remembrance of The late Worthy Rector of this Parish. By whose death the male Branch of this ancient House became extinct, this Tablet was erected, By his Executor and Residuary Legatee'.
Nearby
Just outside the churchyard, a stone's throw from the west tower, is a small timber-framed cottage, whitewashed, with a thatched roof. A blue plaque on the wall tels that this was the residence of Bertha Nind (1883-1977) who wrote her diaries of life in the village while living here from 1901-12. This is just one of the many, many pretty cottages that make Alderton such an attractive village to explore.

14th century canopied niche
14th century canopied niche
Henry Higford memorial, 1795
Henry Higford tablet, 1795
Saxon font fragment
Saxon font fragment

About Alderton
Address: Church Road, Alderton, Gloucestershire, England, GL20 8NR
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: At the end of Church Street. Parking along the street. The church is usually open daylight hours.
Location map
OS: SP002331
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express


NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS

Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest

Little Washbourne, St Mary's Church - 0.8 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Great Washbourne, St Mary's Church - 1.3 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Stanley Pontlarge, St Michael's Church - 1.9 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Ashton-under-Hill, St Barbara's Church - 2.8 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Wormington, St Katherines - 3 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Woolstone, St Martin de Tours - 3.1 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Winchcombe, St Peter's Church - 3.3 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Hailes Abbey - 3.5 miles (Abbey) Heritage Rating



Nearest Accommodation to Alderton:

Self Catering   -   B&Bs/Guesthouses   -   Hotels

Nearest Self Catering Cottages

  More self catering near Alderton

Show self catering cottages near Alderton

Nearest Hotels

    More Hotels near Alderton

Show bed and breakfasts near Alderton

Nearest Bed and Breakfasts

  More bed and breakfasts near Alderton

    Nearest Tourist Information Centre ('as the crow flies')

Winchcombe
Tourist Information Centre
Town Hall
High Street
Winchcombe
Gloucestershire
England
GL54 5LJ
Tel: 01242 602 925
Fax: 01242 602 925
Email: winchcombetic@tewkesbury.gov.uk
Seasonal opening
map