History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
A superb abbey church dating to the early 12th century.
The wonderful church we can visit today was founded by Robert FitzHamon, second cousin of William the Conqueror, in 1102. FitzHamon himself died in 1107, and his chantry chapel (erected several centuries later) is in the south aisle.
It is hard to give a true impression of Tewkesbury Abbey without reference to statistics; suffice it to say that the church is larger than 14 British cathedrals. That hard fact, though, cannot do justice to the magnificent architecture, particularly the interior fabric and furnishings. The Abbey is blessed with some extraordinary chantry chapels, including those of some of the most powerful families of the Middle Ages; the DeSpensers, the Beauchamps, and the de Clares.
Tours are usually available on weekdays at 11.00am and 2.15pm from Easter to October. Group tours are available if booked in advance.
About Tewkesbury Abbey
Address: Abbey Office, Church Stret, Tewkesbury, Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England, GL20 5RZ
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Just off the market square in Tewkesbury; well signposted. Parking available (pay and display)
Website: Tewkesbury Abbey
Phone: +44 (0)1684 850959
Fax: +44 (0)1684 273113
Tewkesbury Abbey Photos
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Deerhurst Priory Saxon church - 2 miles (Historic Church)
Odda's Chapel - 2.5 miles (Historic Church)
Bredon Tithe Barn - 3.2 miles (Historic Building)
Bredon, St Giles - 3.3 miles (Historic Church)
Pendock Old Church - 4.6 miles (Historic Church)
Woolstone, St Martin de Tours - 4.6 miles (Historic Church)
Strensham, St John's Church - 5.2 miles (Historic Church)
Great Washbourne, St Mary's Church - 6.1 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Tewkesbury Abbey: