St Ninian's Chapel
St Ninian's Chapel
A roofless 13th century chapel erected on the hillside overlooking Isle of Whithorn harbour. The chapel was probably used by medieval pilgrims making their way to Whithorn Priory and the shrine of St Ninian. The chapel is a simple rectangular building measuring about 31' x 16'6" internally. It was built around the year 1300 on the site of an earlier 12th century building.
Internally the chapekl is divided into two sections; a nave roughly 17' square, and a much smaller square chancel. It stands within a semi-circular enclosure, a rough oval about 110 feet long which may belong to an earlier Celtic period of use, perhaps a burial ground. The chapel ruins were restored by the Marqess of Bute in 1898.

The location on the edge of the cliffs is utterly magnificent.