Galloway House Gardens
Galloway House Gardens
Historic seaside gardens laid out in the 1740s around Galloway House, seat of the Earls of Galloway. Though the house itself is not generally open to visitors, the gardens are regularkly open, and well worth a visit. Galloway House was built by Lord Alexander Garlies, son of the 5th Earl of Galloway, on the east coast of the Machars of Galloway, looking out over Cruggleton Bay.
Over 50 acres of parks and gardens were laid out around the new house, in a sheltered location that offered the opportunity for a wide variety of plants to flourish. Galloway House Gardens are a mix of the formal and informal; with a network of winding, criss-crossing paths through garden beds and natural woodland areas. The mix of plants is absorbing, though not dramatic, with wildflowers and old trees. The garden paths lead down to the shore, with views acros Wigtown Bay and beyond. Closer at hand are the Cruggleton Cliffs and the ruins of Cruggleton Castle.

Perhaps the best time of year to visit is in the Spring, when the woods are carpeted with snowdrops - over 20 varieties. The gardens are open all year, usually between 0900 and 1700.