Clan Cameron Museum
Clan Cameron Museum
This small museum recounts in vivid detail the history of the clan, its involvement with the Jacobite rebellion, and the story of the Cameron Highlanders.
The museum is housed in a restored 17th century bothy. The bothy was badly damaged by government troops after the failure of Bonnie Prince Charlie's 1745 rebellion. The bothy stands near Achnacarry Castle, the ancestral home of the Chiefs of Clan Cameron. The castle is a Scottish baronial mansion built in 1802 for the 22nd Chief, and is not open to the public.

The museum traces the long history of Clan Cameron from its origins in the 14th century, down to the present day, with historic costumes, ancient weapons and objects from everyday life, plus old photographs and paintings. There are also displays covering important events in the history of the clan, spanning 27 generations. See the boots worn by the 17th Chief at the Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689.

Learn about the foundation of the Cameron Highlanders Regiment, and how Achnacarry served as a training centre for Commandos during World War Two. The 79th Cameron Highlanders were raised in 1793 by Major Alan Cameron of Erracht., and most of the volunteers came from Lochaber and northern Argyll. See a Cameron of Erracht regimental kilt worn at Dunkirk; one of the last times a kilt was worn in battle by a British soldier. Outside the museum is an artillery piece captured by the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders at the Battle of Loos.

One of the largest exhibitions covers the 2 major Jacobite Risings in 1715 and 1745, in which the clan played a major role. One of the prize exhibits is a waistcoat worn by Bonnie Prince Charlie, and a Jacobite ring with a secret compartment that holds a portrait of the Prince. Another Jacobite relic is a Lochiel Bible, which has all references to King George blacked out.

There is a reading room and extensive clan archives, which will prove invaluable for tracing genealogy. And of course you can purchase Clan Cameron tartans and gifts with the clan crest in a small gift shop on the site. Outside the museum is a 'living cairn' built with stones from clan members around the world.

The museum is usually closed from October to April, but can be opened by special arrangement. You do NOT have to be connected with Clan Cameron to visit the museum and enjoy learning about its fascinating history!