History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
Spencer House was begun in 1756 by John Spencer, who hired John Vardy, a pupil of William Kent, to create a setting for entertaining fashionable London society. Vardy created the exterior facade and designed the ground floor rooms. In those days an architect was often expected to design not only the building but its interior decoration, and Vardy turned his hand to creating some of the furniture for the new suite of elegant rooms.
Then in 1758 Spencer called in James Stuart, dubbed 'The Athenian', to complete the house. Stuart had just returned from touring historic sites in Greece, and he applied his knowledge of authentic Greek design to the interiors of Spencer House, creating one of the most influential forays into neo-classical design to be introduced into England; a house that would influence the style of many of the great English stately homes of the next 100 years.
When the 1st Earl Spencer died in 1783 the architect Henry Holland was called in to remodel the interiors. Holland would go on to create nearby Carlton House for the Prince Regent, but at Spencer House he added to the Greek feel of the interiors, with scagliola marble columns, and massive mahogany doors.
The next major phase of building came in the 1840s when Philip Hardwick was called in to redecorate the ground floor and first floor. Hardwick's work on the ground floor was itself redone in the 1870s by the French architect Barbier.
It will be obvious from the short timeline given here, that Spencer House was designed and redesigned as fashions changed, but at its core it is still the elegant Georgian neo-classical house that the 1st Earl would have recognised.
The house was let to tenants several times in the 20th century, and many of the contents moved to the Spencer family seat at Althorp in Northamptonshire. Not only furniture was removed; during the Blitz in 1942 fixtures including chair rails, doors, and chimney pieces were taken away for safe keeping. After the war, the premises were used by the auction house, Christies, and then leased to a succession of companies who used the space as offices.
Much of the house is still let out as office space, but 8 state rooms have been restored to their 18th century splendour, and are regularly open to the public. The restoration was aided when Queen Elizabeth II loaned 5 paintings by Benjamin West from her own collection to help present the interiors in their resplendent historic best.
As of this writing Spencer House is open to the public on Sundays and on specially arranged private tours Please check the official website for exact opening details.
About Spencer House
Address: 27 St James's Place, London, Greater London, England, SW1A 1NR
Attraction Type: Historic Building
Location: overlooking Green Park
Website: Spencer House
Phone: 020 7514 1958
Historic Houses Association
OS: TQ293 803
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
Nearest station: Green Park - 0.2 miles (straight line) - Zone: 1
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
St James Palace - 0.2 miles (Historic Building)
Royal Academy of the Arts - 0.2 miles (Museum)
Clarence House - 0.2 miles (Historic Building)
Guards Museum - 0.5 miles (Museum)
National Gallery - 0.5 miles (Museum)
Household Cavalry Museum - 0.5 miles (Museum)
St Martin-in-the-Fields - 0.5 miles (Historic Church)
Churchill War Rooms - 0.5 miles (Museum)
Nearest Accommodation to Spencer House:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts
Nearest Tourist Information Centre ('as the crow flies')