History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
Sometime in the early years of the 16th century Sir John Spence bought land at Althorp and built the first house. Sir John's house still provides the core of the current structure, built around an enclosed courtyard with a single projecting wing to the south. By the time Sir John's grandson died in 1586, Althorp had become the principle seat of the Spencer family.
One hundred years later, the courtyard was roofed over, and a grand staircase installed. However, this house of red brick did not long survive the vagaries of fashion. The Second Earl of Sunderland brought in an Italian architect to remake Althorp in a grand classical style, replacing the brick with Weldon stone, and adding Corinthian and Composite columns. But the renovations did not stop there; Andre Le Notre, the architect of Versailles, was brought in to remake the gardens in grand formal style.
In the early 18th century the hall was again remodelled, this time in Palladian style, to a design Colin Campbell. The house then fell into a period of neglect, and in 1772 part of the roof collapsed. Archiect Henry Holland, was employed. Much of the fairly restrained exterior of Althorp that can be visited today is a result of Holland's work.
Of most interest to typical Althorp visitors is the exhibition devoted to the life and times of Diana, Princess of Wales. The exhibition is spread over 6 rooms of Althorp, and depicts Diana's childhood, her royal wedding to Prince Charles, her charitable work, and her considerable influence on fashion and style.
As fascinating as the Diana exhibition may be, do not overlook the considerable attractions of the house itself. Althorp is replete with art of the very highest order, the collection of paintings is particularly notable.
Though most of the attention at Althorp is naturally focussed upon the house, don't neglect the garden and grounds! The house stands in 450 acres of sumptuous landscaped parkland. Close to the house is a large garden, originally designed in 1860 by W.N. Teulon. More recent garden improvements have emphasized the splendid vistas leading into the park and its collection of rare tree species. A large lake, known as the Round Oval, provides a focal point for the park. On the southern verge of the Round Oval sits the Summerhouse, once resident in the gardens of Admiraly House, London, and now serving as a memorial to Princess Diana.
Address: Althorp, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England, NN7 4HQ
Attraction Type: Historic House
Website: Althorp Park
Phone: 01604 770107
Historic Houses Association
Photo Credit: Althorp Park
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Great Brington, St Mary's Church - 0.9 miles (Historic Church)
Holdenby House Gardens - 1.9 miles (Garden)
Holdenby, All Saints Church - 1.9 miles (Historic Church)
Haddonstone Show Gardens - 2 miles (Garden)
Upton, St Michael's Church - 3.8 miles (Historic Church)
Coton Manor Gardens - 4.1 miles (Garden)
Northampton, St Peter's Church - 5.2 miles (Historic Church)
Coton Lodge - 5.3 miles (Garden)
Nearest Accommodation to Althorp Park: