Bywell
Bywell
Bywell is a small village situated on the north bank of the Tyne between Hexham and Newcastle. There are two historic buildings of note in this attractive village. The first is Bywell Castle, built by Ralph Mortimer in about 1430. All that remains of the castle is an impressive fortified gatehouse. The other building is the 18th century manor of Bywell Hall, built around 1760 by William Fenwick, son of the High Sheriff of Northumberland. The Hall is in private hands and is not generally open to the public. A medieval market cross stands in the square.
There are two medieval churches in Bywell, and both are worth a visit. St Andrews church is an ancient Saxon building, with one of the best Saxon towers in England. While St Andrews is now redundant, nearby St Peters is not; it is a fine Saxon building with Norman and 13th century rebuilding.