Cartington Castle
Cartington Castle
A partially restored castle on the banks of the River Coquet two miles from the market town of Rothbury. It is not known exactly when the castle was constructed, but the first record of an owner of Cartington Castle comes from 1154. To this early castle a pele tower was added in the 14th century. In 1422 John Cartington was granted a license to crenellate. It was probably this same John Cartington who extended the buildings to include a great hall and courtyard. The castle is on private land, but is visible from surrounding properties.
The castle was held by royalist troops in the Civil War, and as a result it was besieged by Parliament in 1648. The castle defenders held out only briefly, and the castle was then slighted by Parliament to make it unusable for defence. The castle was restored by Lord Armstrong in 1867.