Claydon Estate Gardens
Claydon Estate Gardens
A very good example of a traditional English country house walled garden, set beside 17th century Claydon House. Claydon is the ancestral home of the Verney family, and the garden was laid out by John Sanderson between 1763 and 1776 for the 2nd Earl Verney.
The gardens were intended to be both decorative and functional, with a large kitchen garden area to supply food for the inhabitants of Claydon House. The gardens are accessed through the stable courtyard at the rear of the house (separate admission).

Within the garden are several distinct areas separated by terraces, borders, and red brick walls. There is a terraced walk in honour of Queen Victoria, a Ruby Border, and a Rose Garden containing mostly Scottish roses, to celebrate the Verney family's strong links with Scotland. A separate area holds an elongated pool and a Victorian greenhouse. From the 2 acre kitchen garden a trail leads to a woodland walk. Flowers and produce from the kitchen garden are available for sale.