King James Gate
King James Gate
King James's Gate is an ornamental gateway that formed part of the town defenses of Portsmouth. The gate was built in 1687, across what is now Broad Street. It was later moved from its original site, and now forms the entry to the United Services Recreation Ground on Burnaby Road.
The gate was built to a design by Dutch engineer Sir Bernard de Gomme, and separated the city of Portsmouth from the Point district. The gate was dismantled in 1860, along with much of the defensive walls around Portsmouth, and moved to a site by St Michael'a Road. It was later moved to its present location.

The current state of the gate may not give an accurate sense of its original grandeur. Period prints show that it was built with a very fine pediment and flanking columns, unlike the prersent rather plain structure.