Landport Gate
Landport Gate
A ceremonial gateway that was once the main entrance to Portsmouth. The gate was built in 1760, possibly designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor. The gate is built of Portland stone, and originally stood before a moat, crossed by a drawbridge.
It is composed of a single central arch with a flat top, surmounted by a classical rotunda on columns, topped by a stone ball on a spire.

The Landport Gate is the only one of the town gates of Portsmouth that remains in its original position. It stood midway along the northern defensive walls enclosing Portsmouth, between Guy's Bastion and Town Mount Bastion.