Bow Bridge
Bow Bridge
A 15th century three-arch bridge built by the monks of nearby Furness Abbey across Mill Beck for the purpose of accessing New Mill, a watermill belonging to the abbey, which once stood on the south west bank of the beck. The bridge stands on an old packhorse route to the abbey.
Each of the three arches spans 7 feet, and the bridge is 10.5 feet across. The most likely date of construction is between 1490-1500, though one of the stones carries a 14th century mason's ark. This probably means that the stone was simply reused from another site, perhaps from the abbey itself.