Cadeby, St John's Church
Cadeby, St John's Church
A Victorian Gothic church built by the omnipresent ecclesiastical architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, in 1856. Scott's patron was Sir Joseph Copley, who wanted to create a Decorated Gothic building inspired by the Early English church at Skelton.
Externally it is a very simple building, with a single roof spanning nave and chancel, and a central stone bell turret. Entry is by way of a south porch that appears rather grand compared to the rest of the exterior.

One of the highlights of St John's is the lovely carving detail of the interior, executed by J Birnie Philip. The roof springs from timber beams supported very low on the walls. The beams are painted in very Victorian geometric patterns that look like stencils, though they were probably hand-painted. The church retains its original furniture.

St John the Evangelist (to give the church its proper dedication) is now a redundant church, and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. As of this writing a church key is available from the farm across the road.