Great Givendale Church
Great Givendale Church
The little church of St Ethelburga at Great Givendale is magnificently situated down a wooded slope, as if hiding away from the world. Its such a peaceful place; visit once and you'll never forget it. The current church was rebuilt in 1849 by John Singleton, incorporating bits from an earlier Norman church on the site (though much of the medieval stone was cast aside and reused for road building).
There are several memorials to members of the Singleton family throughout the church, but the most interesting feature is the Norman chancel arch, which seems disproportionately large and grand for such a tiny church. The column capitals on both sides of the arch are wonderfully carved, especially that on the north side, which shows several Green Man figures with vines emerging from their mouths (or in one case, nose).

There is a very simple Norman font tucked beside the lectern, and a simple brass plaque dated 1641 with a Latin inscription to George Jackson and his wife Barbera [sic] Allan. The fittings are largely the work of Temple Moore, who was responsible for many Wolds churches in conjunction with Sir Tatton Sykes.