Helperthorpe, St Peter's Church
Helperthorpe, St Peter's Church
A Victorian church designed by GE Street from 1871 for Sir Tatton Sykes II. The church stands within a small churchyard edged by a retaining wall, like a little enclave cut off from the outside world. The original Street church was extended in 1893 by Temple Moore.
The church features stained glass by Burlison and Grylls and vividly painted ceilings decorated with floral designs and stars picked out in relief.