Cartmel Priory Gatehouse
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The gateway arch had a porter's chamber on one side and a guardhouse chamber on the other with a 'great room' over the central arch. This Great Room was originally used as a monastic court. The porter would dispense alms to to the poor, and presumably the guards would watch for trouble. In this area of northern England trouble was a constant possibility, with armed bands raiding north and south of the Scottish border on a regular basis.
After the Reformation the gatehouse was used as a lockup, then as a school. One side of the gatehouse was used as a shop, and in 1923 a small museum was opened inside it. In 1946 it was given to the National Trust, and for several decades the gatehouse was open to the public.
About Cartmel Priory Gatehouse
Address: The Square, Cavendish Street, Cartmel, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, England, LA11 6QB
Attraction Type: Abbey
Location: In the centre of Cartmel, on the market square
National Trust - see also: National Trust memberships (official website link)
OS: SD378 787
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Cartmel Priory Church - 0 miles (Historic Church)
Holker Hall - 1.4 miles (Historic House)
Lakeland Motor Museum - 4.3 miles (Museum)
Arnside and Silverdale - 4.5 miles (Countryside)
Fell Foot Park - 5.1 miles (Countryside)
Hoad Monument - 5.2 miles (Historic Building)
Stott Park Bobbin Mill - 5.8 miles (Museum)
Swarthmoor Hall - 6 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Accommodation to Cartmel Priory Gatehouse: