Little Tew, St John the Evangelist
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Victorian furnishings and stained glass
Building began in 1852, and the the parish became independent in 1858. The first vicar was Rev. Charles Garratt, a man of great enthusiasm and a sworn enemy of nonconformist worship. Garratt was the son of a Lord Mayor of London, so he had the private resources to make the most of his convictions. Under Garratt church attendance doubled, drawing 120 people to evening service out of a population of 250. He built a north aisle and installed an organ at his own expense, which must have helped, as did a new heating system! Garratt also erected the village hall, and sered as vicar until 1880.
There is a memorial to Charles Eustace Garratt, who was born in Little Tew in 1861 and served in the Boer War, and later with the Red Cross in WWII. He died in 1921 in New York, and his family erected this monument to him in his birthplace.
Aside from the stained glass, which tends to dominate the interior is lush Victorian colours, the other highlights inclue a stepped Victorian font, carved stone pulpit, lovely 19th century tiles, and a wonderful vaulted roof.
About Little Tew
Address: Little Tew, Oxfordshire, England, OX7 4JB
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: At the head of Enstone Road, In the centre of the village, just off the B4022
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Great Tew, St Michael's Church - 0.9 miles (Historic Church)
Swerford, St Mary's Church - 1.8 miles (Historic Church)
Wigginton, St Giles Church - 3 miles (Historic Church)
South Newington, St Peter ad Vincula Church - 3.3 miles (Historic Church)
Great Rollright, St Andrews - 4.1 miles (Historic Church)
Chipping Norton, St Mary's Church - 4.5 miles (Historic Church)
Spelsbury, All Saints Church - 4.8 miles (Historic Church)
Chadlington, St Nicholas Church - 5.1 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Little Tew: