Historic Houses in Suffolk
This page Euston Hall - Somerleyton Hall and Gardens
This gazetteer lists stately homes. See also historic buildings in Suffolk
A red-brick Georgian country house, the home of the Duke of Grafton. The house that we see today is only a wing of a much larger house which was destroyed in a devastating fire in 1902. The house contains a superb collection of Stuart royal portraits, a reminder that the Dukes are descended from Charles II, as well as paintings of notable people in the Stuart court. Among the artists displayed are Lely, Van Dyck, and George Stubbs.
An attractive Elizabethan manor, built by the de Glemham family in 1560. Outside the house is a lovely walled rose garden, wide lawns edged by yew hedges, a lily pond, and a summerhouse to enjoy. The estate includes 300 acres of parkland, and regularly hosts events including open air opera and theatre performances, and a country fair.
A Grade-I listed manor house in 6 acres of landscaped gardens. Within the grounds is a listed 17th century timber-framed barn. The house was built in 1620 by Sir John Sulyard, on land originally granted to the Sulyards by Mary Tudor, the sister of Henry VIII.
A remarkable stately home in Italianate style topped by a massive rotunda, built for the 4th Earl of Bristol in 1795. Ickworth was meant to house the earl's art treasures, but they were seized by Napoleon and the Earl died (and his body was shipped home from Italy in a coffin labelled "antique sculpture").
Kentwell is a moated Tudor manor, built by the Clopton family in the early 16th century. The exterior is largely built of red-brick. The beautifully preserved interiors feature a working Tudor kitchen and a Great Hall with a minstrels gallery at one end. In the landscaped grounds that surround the house are a Tudor Rose pavement maze, clipped topiary, and a Camera Obscura. Kentwell is a very short distance from another stately home, Melford Hall.
A lovely Elizabethan house with banqueting hall, the home of the Hyde Parker family, but once owned by the Abbots of Bury St Edmunds. Melford Hall is essentially unchanged externally since 1578, but the interior has Regency and Victorian additions.
Otley Hall is as pretty as a postcard - a picturesque 15th century timber-framed manor house approached over a wide moat, and set in over 10 acres of lovely garden and parkland. The Hall was probably built by John Gosnold, though the house we see today is largely a 16th century building. A later Gosnold, Bartholomew (1571-1607) made several voyages to the New World, and helped found Jamestown colony. It is thought that the voyages to America were planned by the broad fireplace of Otley Hall.
Somerleyton is a superb Victorian stately home built to replace a 13th century house established by Sir Peter Fitzosbert. That 13th century house was itself built on an even earlier manor house. The current Somerleyton Hall is approched through attractive gardens, and bounds a courtyard on three sides. Highlights of the interior includes a broad oaken staircase decorated with coats of arms from the 14 families who have owned Somerleyton over the past 7 centuries.
Name the Historic attraction
British Heritage Awards
Celebrate the best of British Heritage in our annual
British History Quiz
This Protestant martyr was burned at the stake at Smithfield in 1546
Bishop Gardiner tried to implicate Catherine Parr and Archbishop Cranmer in thie martyr's refusal to accept the doctrine of transubstatiation
The martyr was female!
This Day in British History
07 March, 1896
Gilber and Sullian's The Grand Duke first performed
The Grand Duke was the last Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. As with so many of their triumphs, it was performed at the Savoy Theatre in London.