Knook is little more than a hamlet, located on a no-through-road off the A36. The tiny church of St Margaret dates at least to the 11th century, if not earlier. Though it was heavily restored in the Victorian period, much of the earlier Norman building remains.
Among the more obvious ancient remnants is a blocked doorway on the south wall, which retains a Saxon tympanum protected by a 19th century arch. The carved column capitals and the tympanum itself are thought to date to the early 11th century. The tympanum is carved with depictions of foliage and animals, very vividly portrayed.

The Saxon tympanum
The Saxon tympanum
Detail of the tympanum carving
Detail of the tympanum carving
The doorway and tympanum
The doorway and tympanum
Some of the older interior features include 11th century corbels supported the timber roof of the chancel. Behind the altar is a reredos with a reused Saxon lintel carved with traditional interlace patterns.

The west wall has a 13th century window set beneath a pair of later 19th century windows.
Apparently the ancient origins of St Margaret's were not always readily apparent; in 1824 the antiquarian Sir Richard Colt Hoare visited the church and described it as 'a small neat building erected about 1623, and presents nothing worthy of remark in its architecture'. Hoare somehow missed the Saxon carvings inside and out!
Most of the interior furnishings are Victorian, the result of a restoration carried out in 1875 by William Butterfield. The restoration cost £900 and was paid for by the 2nd Baron Heytesbury. One of the best features is the east window, given as a memorial to Lady Elizabeth Heytesbury, who died in 1874. At the west end on the nave is the single monument of note; a black and white memorial to Brouncher Thring, (d 1787). The font is Victorian, made of marble and set upon a stone plinth.

St Margaret's is a curious building, a mix of Victorian functionality mixed with wonderful Saxon carvings.

Saxon carved corbel
Saxon carved corbel
Saxon interlace reredos
Saxon interlace reredos
17th century slab in the porch
17th century slab in the porch

About Knook
Address: Knook, Wiltshire, England, BA12 0JG
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Beside Knook Manor, just off the A36. Usually open daylight hours.
Location map
OS: ST937418
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express


Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest

Upton Lovell, St Augustine of Canterbury Church - 0.8 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Heytesbury, St Peter & St Paul Church - 0.9 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Tytherington, St James Church - 1.4 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Boyton, St Mary's Church - 1.6 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Sutton Veny, St Leonards Church - 1.9 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Codford St Peter - 2.1 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Sherrington, St Cosmas & St Damian Church - 2.2 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Codford St Mary Church - 2.6 miles (Historic Church) Heritage Rating

Nearest Accommodation to Knook:

Self Catering   -   B&Bs/Guesthouses   -   Hotels

Nearest Self Catering Cottages

  More self catering near Knook

Show self catering cottages near Knook

Nearest Hotels

    More Hotels near Knook

Show bed and breakfasts near Knook

Nearest Bed and Breakfasts

  More bed and breakfasts near Knook

    Nearest Tourist Information Centre ('as the crow flies')

Tourist Information Centre
Central Car Park
off Station Rd
BA12 9BT
Tel: 01985 218 548
Fax: 01985 846 154