A small village in Upper Wensleydale, famous for its series of lovely waterfalls. There are three falls, the upper of which was featured in the film, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, with Kevin Costner.
The falls stretch for one mile along the River Ure, descending over a series of wide limestone steps, and are extremely popular with tourists. There is a parking area and trails along the riverside linking the upper, middle, and lower falls.

The village dates to the Saxon period, and at the time of the Norman invasion it was held by Cnut, son of Karli. William the Conqueror granted the manor to Count Alan of Brittany. By 1480 the manor had passed to the crown and was granted to Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III). Henry VIII later held the estate, and Lord Scrope offered to exchange his estates at Pishobury, Hertfordshire with the king, but there is no record to tell us whether the exchange was ever carried out.

There are signposted walks along the River Ure, and the woods are covered in bluebells in Spring. There is also a National Park Centre at Aysgarth, with information about walking trails in the area.

The church of St Andrew, which is located beside the river, has the largest churchyard in England, covering 4 acres. The church dates to the 13th century and features a rood screen brought here from Jervaulx Abbey after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

There are 2 pubs in the village; one is the George and Dragon Inn, a 17th century coaching inn. The other is the Aysgarth Falls Hotel.