Burgh Castle
Burgh Castle

Burgh Castle is a Roman Saxon Shore fort, built in the 3rd century overlooking Breydon Water and the outlet of the River Waveney. The Romans built a trapezoidal fort here sometime between 260-280 AD. We know very little about the fort, but we do know that the Stablesian cavalry were stationed here in the mid 4th century.
Burgh Fort has traditionally been identified with the Saxon Shore fort named as Gariannonum in a Roman army document written around AD 400, however recent research suggests that the description of Gariannonum may apply just as easily to Caistor-on-Sea on the other bank of the estuary.

The fort has a maximimum inner width of 205 by 100 metres. The walls on three sides of the fort are fairly intact, but that on the west side have collapsed into the water. The walls stand to a height of 4.6 metres, and are supported by six pear-shaped bastions.The walls are in excellent condition.

The Romans stayed until the early 5th century, most likely leaving between AD 407-8.

Around 630 AD a monastery was established within the Roman walls by Fursa, who called the place Chobheresburgh. The monastic church stood in the south west corner of the fort, and a cemetery to the north of the church. The monastery stood until some time in the 9th century. In the 11th century the Normans built a motte and bailey castle within the fort. The mound survived until 1839.

From the castle you can look across the River Yare to Berney Arms Windmill, a restored historic mill.