Shute Barton
Shute Barton
Also known as Old Shute House, Shute Barton is an embattled 14th century manor house with the addition of a late 15th century wing. There was also a Tudor block, but this was demolished around 1785. The house was built around 1380, and consists of two wings in a L shape. The house is approached through a 15th century three-storey gatehouse.
The manor was built by Sir William Bonville, Sheriff of Devon, Somerset, and Dorset. The house was later owned by the de Grey family, Marquesses of Dorset, and it was they who added the 15th century wing. Shute Barton is one of the best surviving and most important examples of a non-fortified manor house in England.