Torbryan, Holy Trinity Church
Torbryan, Holy Trinity Church
A surprisingly large and spacious historic church in an isolated rural setting, approached by winding country lanes. One very unusual feature of Torbryan church is that it was built in a single 20 year span, from 1450-1470, and as a reesult the building is a strikingly unified Perpendicular Gothic structure.
The most obviously feature is the west tower, a three-storey affair which dawrfs the low nave and chancel. Running up one side of the tower is an enclosed octagonal stair, which terminates in a turret at roof level. The porch features excellent fan vaulting with angel bosses. The nave arcades are richly carved, as is the wooden rood screen. The screen spans the entire width of the church, and has very finely carved tracery and panels painted with the likenesses of saints.

There are fragments of medieval stained glass in the traceried windows. An unusual touch is the 19th century pulpit, which appears to have been built using parts of the screen. The original pulpit was used to rebuild the altar. There is a set of Georgian box pews incorporating 15th century benches.