A Norman church with later medieval rebuilding, St Nicholas is composed of a nave, chancel, and porch, with the addition of a very short octagonal west tower. The tower may date in part to the Norman period, and is built of flint, as is the body of the church.
The 12th century north aisle was originally the church nave, but the bulk of the church is 14th and 15th century. The building was heavily restored in 1844 and many of the interior features date to this restoration, though some small pieces of medieval stained glass still remain. St Nicholas church is no longer used for regular worship and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Cholmondeley Castle Gardens-
An early 19th century mock castle stands on a hill overlooking a lake. The castle is set within a landscape of sweeping lawns set off by a variety of mature trees, including chestnut, oak, and cedars of lebannon. The gardens around the castle are planyted to provide a mix of colour and height. There is a rose garden, temple water garden, and mixed borders. Plantings provide colour at all times of the year, and … ... more