Carrington, St George's Church
Carrington, St George's Church
St George's church was built in 1757 by architect Isaac Shaw for Mary, Countess of Stamford. It was intended as a chapel of ease for the villages Partington and Carrington, so the villagers would not have to travel so far to attend church.
It is an unassuming, plain mid-Georgian building of brick, beneath a stone slate roof. It originally had a west bell turret, but this has been removed. It is built to a traditional 18th century layout; a west gallery overlooks the nave, and there are box pews at the east end for those who could afford them and open pews at the rear for those who could not. The font is worth noting; it is crafted from white marble.

St George's seems a little lost now, with modern buildings nearby. It is no longer in regular use and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.