Friarmere, St Thomas Church
Friarmere, St Thomas Church
A simple mid 18th century church on a hillside overlooking Delph. The church was built beginning in 1765, probably using the labour of the parishioners, who dubbed it 'Heights Chapel'. It was intended as a chapel of ease for parishioners unable to travel to the parish church at Saddleworth.
St Thomas' is a very plain brick building, two storeys high, with a small stone bellcote at the west end. It is very much in the style of a Georgian 'preaching church', with galleries on the west, north, and south, and a small east sanctuary lit by an Italianate window.

When a new church was built in Delph most of the interior furnishings were transferred there, leaving St Thomas' fairly bare. This small Georgian church is no longer in regular use and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.