Fimber, St Mary's Church
Fimber, St Mary's Church
A 'Sykes' church, one of numerous in this area to be rebuilt by Sir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere. Sykes called in GE Street to rebuilt an earlier medieval chapel of ease here, in 1869. In the 16th century the parishioners complained that the incumbent priest did not offer frequent enough services.
That medieval chapel stood on the site of a Bronze Age burial mound, another example of early Christian churches being sited on existing sacred locations.

A bust of Sir Tatton Sykes stands on the ledge of the westernmost window of the nave. The stained glass is beautiful Victorian work by Clayton and Bell. The northern windows depict six miracles from the Gospel of St John, while the southern nave windows show parables from the Gospel of St Matthew. There is a lovely brass and iron screen between the nave and chancel, and the pulpit is a fine Victorian example, carved from Caen stone.

Verdict: A beautifully proportioned little Victorian church in a wonderful country setting.