Sigglesthorne, St Lawrence Church
Sigglesthorne, St Lawrence Church
There was a church at Sigglesthorne at the time of the Domesday Book, but the present building dates largely from the 12th century. The construction is a patchwork quilt of materials including brick, cobble, ashlar, stone, and rubble.
The interior was restored in the Victorian period, when the east window was installed in memory of Elizabeth Bentinck. The window is by Clayton and Bell, whose work adorns so many East Riding churches. Over the chancel arch is a very fine fresco depicting 'Our Lord in Glory', painted in 1900.

One interesting historical feature is the huge rectangular slab found just inside the churchyard gate. This is a medieval altar, which was taken from the church during the Reformation and used as a footbridge. A century later a local parishioner, uncomfortable at stepping on the formerly sacred stone, asked for permission to bring it back to consecrated ground and use it as a grave marker for his family.