Bishopston, St Teilo
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Norman font and piscina
It was only later that a small stone chapel was built on the llan site. In 1130 the church was granted to the Bishop of Llandaff. The Bishops established a manor and court here, which operated until 1923. The name of the village comes from this connection with the Bishops.
The church has an early English tower typical of churches on the Gower peninsula. The tower, nave, and chancel date from the late 12th or early 13th century. The church roof was thatched until 1831. The clock was installed in 1886 after years in use at the Swansea Old Brewery.
Inside is a Norman font, made from a solid block of limestone. There is a piscina from around the same period. Outside the churchyard are the remains of a medieval cross.
The church key can be obtained from the Winston Hotel nearby.
About Bishopston, St Teilo
Address: Bishopston, Gower, Glamorgan, Wales
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Off the B4436
Website: Bishopston, St Teilo
OS: SS577 894
Photo Credit: Alan Richards, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Pennard, St Mary's Church - 0.8 miles (Historic Church)
Ilston, St Illtyd - 1.4 miles (Historic Church)
Pennard Castle - 2.1 miles (Castle)
Oystermouth Castle - 2.3 miles (Castle)
Clyne Gardens - 2.4 miles (Garden)
Parc le Breos Burial Chamber - 2.5 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nicholaston, St Nicholas Church - 3.5 miles (Historic Church)
Oxwich, St Illtyd Church - 4.9 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Bishopston, St Teilo:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts