Pass through the arched door of the screen into the Quire. This is where the cathedra, or throne of the Archbishop of York, is located, along with stalls for the canons. Look up again, high above the stalls, to see the marvellous vaulted ceiling. Closer at hand, the capitals of the Quire columns are decorated with a variety of fanciful carved heads. Some of these heads are shown in the photos below.
The stalls are wonderfully carved (see photos below). Look for the plaques on the wall of the stalls. They depict the insignia of various saints, and were originally designed to protect the woodwork from the hair oil used by the canons! That woodwork is not original, as the stalls had to be replaced following a fire in 1829.