Historic Churches in Lincolnshire
This page Barnetby, St Mary's Church - Goltho, St George's Church
Barton upon Humber
A remarkable historic church, combining an essentially complete 10th century Saxon tower and a medieval nave and chancel. In addition to the wonderful historic architecture, however, St Peters is famous for its bones. Extensive archaeological excavation in the cemetery unearthed over 2800 skeletal remains dating back to the late 8th century, making St Peters the largest resource in Britain for historical bone analysis.
St Botolph's church, popularly known as the Boston Stump, has the tallest tower (not including the spire) of any parish church in England. It is a largely 14th century building, though the striking tower is 15th and 16th century. The building, particularly the exterior and the famous tower, is superb, and must represent one of the high points of English church architecture. The Stump has close ties with the Pilgrim Fathers and the founding of America.
A striking mid-Victorian red-brick church designd by architect Samuel Sanders Teulon in 1856. The exterior is very simple, giving no clue as to the richly decorated interior.
The parish church of St Michael at Burwell may have been tied to 12th century Burwell Priory. The church is composed of a chancel, nave, and north aisle, with a three-stage west tower of attractive greensand stone and red brick.
A very tidy little country church standing in trees, close to a moated medieval manor site just north east of Snarford. The nave and chancel of St Michael's were renovated in the Victorian period, but, blessedly, the renovations did not disturb the medieval treasures within.
A Georgian town church in neo-classical style, modeled after St Martin-in-the-Fields church in London. The tower of All Saints is Perpendicular Gothic, dating from the 14th century, but the interior is something quite remarkably different - painted in pastel hues of lilac, gold, and white, with large classical columns supporting galleries on two sides.
An unpretentious little country church built entirely of red brick. The building consists of a chancel and nave, entered directly through the west wall, underneath a fanciful brick-built bellcote.
Name the Historic attraction
British Heritage Awards
Celebrate the best of British Heritage in our annual
British History Quiz
This Labour politician was Prime Minister twice from 1945-1950 and 1950-51
He led the Labour Party in Churchill's wartime coalition government
He was the first Labour PM to hold a Commons majority
This Day in British History
04 March, 1890
Forth Railway Bridge opens
The Prince of Wales officially opens the bridge