Goltho, St George's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The nave of the church was built by the Grantham family when they bought Goltho Hall, now vanished, around 1530. The chancel was added sometime around 1600.
The interior is an attractively painted mix of white and pale blue, decorated in Georgian style, with a double-decker pultpit. The rereodos is quite splendid, and other Georgian features include box pews, carved altar rails, and carved bench ends. St George's is no longer used for regular worship and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
NOTE: Unfortunately, the church was destroyed by fire in 2013. Only the brick shell remains.
About Goltho, St George's Church
Address: Goltho, Lincolnshire, England, LN8 5JD
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Off the A158 1 mile from Wragby
Website: Goltho, St George's Church
Churches Conservation Trust
Photo Credit: Dave Hitchborne, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Snarford, St Lawrence Church - 5.6 miles (Historic Church)
Buslingthorpe, St Michael's Church - 5.7 miles (Historic Church)
Pottergate - 9.4 miles (Historic Building)
Priory Gate - 9.5 miles (Historic Building)
Newport Arch - 9.5 miles (Roman Site)
Walesby Church - 9.6 miles (Historic Church)
Lincoln Cathedral - 9.6 miles (Cathedral)
Medieval Bishop's Palace - 9.6 miles (Historic Building)
Nearest Accommodation to Goltho, St George's Church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts