Newcastle Emlyn Castle
Newcastle Emlyn Castle
Newcastle Emlyn Castle occupies a steep spur of land above the River Teifi. Castle remains consist of some walls and a gatehouse set in a a walled inner court measuring roughly 45 metres by 25 metres. To the west is an outer court within earthwork defenses. The castle served mainly an administrative, rather than defensive, purpose, though it did see action on several occasions, and was badly damaged during the Civil War.
The 'new' castle at Emlyn was built sometime before 1257 at an administrative centre for the commote (district) of Emlyn Uwch Cych, which became the lordship of Emlyn. The castle was beseiged by the English in the winter of 1287, and though the defenders were able to hold out for a time, they were eventually forced to surender, and Newcastle passed to the English crown. The defenses were extended in the 14th century, when the impressive gatehouse was added; this is now the best surviving feature of the castle. A walled settlement, or borough, was established outside the castle walls.

Around 1500 the castle was converted into a mansion, with a large deer park beyond. A large earthwork was erected in front of the gatehouse during the Civil War. The castle was damaged in the fighting, and after the war it fell into disuse.