Newport (Pembrokeshire) Castle
Newport (Pembrokeshire) Castle
The castle and the surrounding borough of Newport was founded around 1191 by William Fitz Martin. FitzMartin had been expelled from Never by his father, Lord Rhys, and he founded a new defended settlement at Newport to serve as an administrative centre for the district of Cemais. Newcastle stayed in the FitzMartin family until the death of the last holder in 1326.
The castle was at various times captured by Llywelyn the Great and later by Llywelyn the Last. The remains date mostly from the 13th century and consist of towers, a gatehouse, crypt, and dungeon. A restored gatehouse was later made into a Victorian Gothic home. There is a roughly circular ringwork enclosing the site, about 50 metres diameter, with a wide moat.

Note: There are two Newport Castles, one here in Pembrokeshire, and another at Newport, Gwent.