St Twynnells Church
St Twynnells Church
St Twynnell is also named Gwynnoc or Gwynnog, among many other variations. The church was established in 1259 and once belonged to St Nicholas Priory in Pembroke.
History
St Twynnell was a 6th century follower of St Cattwg (Cadoc), and was a co-founder of the 'Church of the Three Saints' at Llantrisant. The name is a bit confusing; it may be a mangled form of Saint-Gwynno, or perhaps a contraction of the local 'twin wells'; a pair of springs south east of the church.

In 1260 the Priory of St Nicholas granted the church and its lands to the Bishop of St David's.

The church is mostly 13th century, with a nave, chancel, sanctuary, and west tower with a ring of 3 bells. Perhaps the most interesting memorial inside the church is to Katherine Owen of Orielton (d. 1698). The east window is dedicated to 2 men from the parish who died in World War One.

The church owns a 1662 solid silver Communion Chalice and a rare, pre-Reformation pewter paten and bread plate. Near the west porch is a medieval preaching cross.