Castell Collen Roman Fort
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: A typical Flavian fort
HistoryThe fort was established during the Flavian invasion of Wales, around AD 75. The site is in a strategically important position overlooking the River Ithon. It is fairly typical of Flavian forts, enclosing a rectangle about 210 metres long and 155 metres wide, oriented on a north west to south east axis. The fort was later reduced in size to 160 x 114 metres and the original western rampart was slighted to make it unusable.
The original defences were timber posts atop a turf wall defended by a ditch, but these defences were later rebuilt in stone. Outside the south east corner of the fort is a bath house complex that was in use until the 3rd century. At the end of the 2nd century semi-circular towers were built to defend gateways in the south, east, and north walls. Inside the fort the major buildings were made of stone, while the barracks were timber.
Recent investigation has unearthed a vicus, or civilian settlement, outside the walls, in what is now a wooded area to the east of the fort. An archaeological dig in 2011 found enough Roman brick and tile fragments to suggest that there was a manufacturing centre nearby. Pottery sherds, pieces of iron objects, and a silver coin were also discovered.
Castell Collen was occupied continuously until the 3rd century. It seems to have been abandoned around AD 230 until AD 300, then reoccupied for another 3 decades until it was finally abandoned for good around AD 330.
The fort was known to 18th century antiquarians, but it was first rigorously excavated in 1911, then again in 1954. Among the objects discovered during excavations were a bronze bell, scabbard decorations, a silver ring, and a bronze brooch. Pottery from the site included castor ware cups and a cremation urn.
The Dedication StoneOne of the most interesting finds is a fragment of carved stone decorated with the likeness of a griffin. The stone is inscribed 'VE [EXLLIATIO] [LEG II] [AUG F]' which roughly translates as 'A 'Flag Section' of the Second Augustan Legion made [this fort].' The stone was found in the wall of the principia, or headquarters building in the centre of the fort.
The stone and the other objects are on display at the Radnorshire Museum in Llandrindod Wells.
Other carved stones found on the site or nearby include one discovered set into a field wall in 1926. It bears the inscription 'MARCI • F • P XXXXVI' which translates as 'The century of Marcus has made forty-six paces [of rampart].'. Another stone was found re-used in the church at Llanbadarn Fawr. It is carved with the words 'VAL FLAVINI', or '[Made by] the century of Flavius Flavinus.'. Clearly the Roman soldiers who worked to build the fort wanted their efforts to be remembered.
Getting ThereThe fort is in a loop of the River Ithon opposite Llandrindod Wells. Access is at the end of a minor road off the A4081 between the town and Llanyre to the west. The site is clearly marked on Ordnance Survey maps.
About Castell Collen Roman Fort
Address: Llandrindod Wells, Radnorshire, Wales
Attraction Type: Roman Site
Location: Off the A4081 just north of Llandrindod
Website: Castell Collen Roman Fort
OS: SO055 628
Photo Credit: David Medcalf, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
3rd century (Time Period) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
National Cycle Collection - 1.1 miles (Museum)
Rock Park - 1.2 miles (Garden)
Cefnllys Castle - 2.2 miles (Castle)
Cwmhir Abbey - 5.1 miles (Abbey)
Abbey Cwm Hir Hall - 5.1 miles (Historic House)
Castell Crug Eryr - 6.7 miles (Castle)
Llanelwedd, St Matthew's Church - 6.9 miles (Historic Church)
Builth Castle - 7.4 miles (Castle)
Nearest Accommodation to Castell Collen Roman Fort:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts