Peak District Self Catering cottage, Deer Croft Cottage, Turnditch, sleeps 4
Areas: Peak District
Sleeps a maximum of:
Pricing From: £279.00 - 536.00
Sleeping four people in two bedrooms, this semi-detached cottage is in a rural location near Turnditch, 5 miles from Belper.
Highcroft is a semi-detached cottage in a rural location 1.6 miles from Turnditch. The cottage has a double and a twin, along with a house bathroom and additional ground floor cloakroom. The living area is open plan, with a kitchen with breakfast bar, dining area and sitting area with woodburner. Outside is off road parking for two cars and a private patio area with furniture and countryside views. Highcroft is a great family base for enjoying walking, the towns of Belper and Ashbourne, and historic houses, or simply relaxing and watching the owners' small herd of deer.
RECENT CUSTOMER REVIEWS
Misleading and disappointing
We started at Deer Croft Cottage last week. The cottage itself is ok but key points to note;
1. It's a venison farm rather than family herd of deer - the deer are all ear tagged and processed on site, discovered by the big sign offering venison for sale on site. This is fine if you are ok knowing the nice deer you are looking at are due for the dinner plate - I wasn't comfortable with that
2. The gorgeous dog Agnes is indeed gorgeous however she spent a lot of time in a small cage on the driveway when we were there. We welcomed her visits happy to see her out of a cage! But note, if you aren't keen on dogs (which we are so hard to imagine however...), you will get a visit and the owners don't intervene with this - we never saw the owners of the house despite the cottage actually being attached to their house - that's not mentioned either in the spec!
3. It's off quite a busy road so if wanting to walk anywhere bear that in mind especially if you have children
4 A travel cot and high chair and toys are there which are good but there are no stair gates which isn't great as there is the main staircase then small steps to both bedrooms
5. Kitchen could do with having a few basics - cooking oil, foil etc..
6. FLIES! Everywhere! We had at least 5 in the cottage at anytime, usually more. Not sure if there was a bin problem or if they were attracted to the waste tank next door to the driveway by the cottage
7. Wifi was intermittent - we tended to get kicked off in the evenings
8. Small detail.but the batteries in the to remote didn't work! And neither did the lamp in one of the bedrooms. Ok small moan but after all the other things it got a bit annoying!
If I'm honest, I'd look elsewhere if I were you!
We liked the peace, tranquillity and the setting amongst the hills. Always, when we looked out of the windows we could see the deer just a few feet away, and to be able to watch the two 2 week old fawns running and jumping about was a real privilege. The cottage was very warm and comfortable, so well equipped and very well laid out. We were all very sad to leave and have already recommended to our family and friends. The young couple who own it are lovely and work very hard to make your stay enjoyable. They deserve to be successful, we wish them well.
Sad to leave
We have just had a wonderful holiday at Deercroft cottage,and didn't want to leave.The owners Jo and Rob have equipped the cottage with everything you might need,it is warm and comfortable and set in beautiful countryside.Every window had great views and animals wandering by.It was so wonderful to see the deer just a few yards away and we were welcomed by a beautiful stag grazing by the door.The two 2 week old fawns also came running and jumping by too.
We also loved the daily visits of Agnes,their young black Labrador dog who was mum to the 2 remaining puppies.I will really miss her because she was such a friendly,happy dog.
There are numerous places to eat in the area,the closest being the Tiger.Thursday night is "pie night" with a choice of no less than 100!
We also found Ashbourne to be particularly dog friendly,as lots of shops allowed them in as well as the pubs.
We found so many places to walk and villages to discover so wouldn't hesitate to go back.
We have already recommended the cottage to our family and friends.
It has been a real privilege to have stayed there.
We loved it
We loved the setting and the cottage and our two rough collies settled in quickly, which is particularly unusual for one of them as he is very fussy about where we stay. The owners were helpful and meeting the deer, chickens, pigs and the Labrador Agnes and her gorgeous puppies was a bonus. The cottage was comfortable and well equipped and the local area was absolutely beautiful. Having never visited the Peak District before, this was a great introduction and definitely made us want to return.
The property is situated in a beautiful area and the owners were helpful. It was dog friendly and we enjoyed watching the deer grazing in the field next to the cottage.
Services / Facilities:
Oil fired central heating throughout. Electric oven and hob, fridge, dishwasher, TV with Freeview, DVD, selection of books, games and DVDs. Fuel and power inc. in rent. Bed linen and towels inc. in rent. Off road parking for 2 cars. Enclosed patio and lawn with furniture. One well behaved pet welcome. Sorry, no smoking. Shop 2 miles, pub 1 mile.
Double Beds: 1
Twin Beds: 1
is approximate and
should only be used to get a rough idea of the cottage location.
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Turnditch area.
Nearest Alternative Cottages
of facilities are believed correct at time of publication, but may
be subject to change by the cottage proprietor. Up-to-the-minute
facility listings will be always presented during the booking
process for your approval.