Nice little cottage
Booked a week here in October. The cottage is clean and comfortable with a nice kitchen and comfortable living room. (One minor point- the kitchen would be better suited to having a washing machine rather than a dishwasher). It is set in a nice rural location with some really nice walks near by. The local pubs are friendly and there are lots of interesting places to visit near by. We would definately consider staying again if we were visiting East Yorkshire
Not completely as described
We booked this property through Sykes Cottages, based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, even although there were a couple of negative comments on other review sites, including Sykes own review pages.
I will first cover the niggles we found which has resulted in my 3 star rating.
* Sykes, and/or the Owner, advise in their directions to the property that upon entering Patrington Village at the bend, you should take the first right onto Haven Road. This is incorrect, as the first right which takes you down into Patrington Haven is actually signposted Humber Lane.
* Parking is only on the main road which is about 30 -40 metres from the front door to the property, but neither Sykes nor the Owner tell you that the lane from the main road to the front door is in such an absolutely pitiful state with broken tarmac and potholes, that anyone with mobility issues will find this a very uncomfortable experience. Not to mention pulling your wheeled suitcase over this nightmare.
* The front entry to the house is about 6 inches above the lane outside, so mobility issues arise again.
* Inside the house the stairs to upstairs are so steep it will again affect anyone with mobility problems. (This cannot be blamed on the Owner, as probably the house was built that way). However, what the Owner should really look at is the handrail on the left wall going up, as this handrail is far too short, stopping a couple of risers before the landing, and should have been extended right up to the landing and a foot or so along the landing. Coming downstairs, and needing to use the handrail, you will lean over the stairs to get a hold of it.
* The open plan layout on the ground floor works reasonably well, but the "fancy" chimney on the back wall takes away from the appearance.
* Sykes and/or the Owner advertise a DVD and a selection of books to read. Neither was available.
* The welcome bottle of wine was appreciated, but perhaps a more appropriate "gift" would have been some sachets of coffee and sugar, along with tea bags and long-life milk packets. Thankfully we had brought our own.
And now on to the positives.
* The bedrooms were wonderfully comfortable, although you may have to share wardrobes if you make use of the 2 bedrooms.
* The bathroom is an absolute delight - a lot of thought and expense has gone into it - and now my wife wants one the same!
* The outdoor seating area in the back garden is just perfect, and having a morning coffee facing the sun, or an after-dinner drink facing West was an absolute joy.
* The kitchen itself has everything you could possibly need, and do remember to set the clocks on the oven and the microwave.
* All 3 TVs had every channel you could possibly want, but do note - I could not get a mobile phone signal inside the house, and had to walk up to the main road.
* Finally, the Country Club restaurant in the Caravan Park is out of this world!
If cottages was like Narnia ...
we booked this winter break, so we could attend our niece's wedding, in nearby Patrington.
As there is no parking directly outside the property, was had to park a few hundred yards away, due to road works being completed through the village.
Once we had located the cottage we made our way through the back door and all said a collective 'wow'!
It's unassuming facade would not make you think the interior could be so well decorated, comfortable or spotlessly clean.
Tasteful decor, a well thought out kitchen, comfortable beds, and a cosy, cottagy atmosphere.
We had a lovely weekend stay, in a holiday home that I can thoroughly recommend, if visiting Spurn, Hull or the surrounding area.
Thank you to the owners, for letting us stay in their lovely holiday home.
Excellent Base for bird watchers....
Lovely comfy cottage...warm and cosy with big bathroom and pretty garden....a great Base for birdwatchers. ..then after a long day nice beds and bed linen and a TV in each room.
South View Cottage was perfect for our needs. Clean, tidy, easy to find and close to amenities. We would not hesitate to stay again. The owners were friendly and willing to help with any queries.