Waithe, St Martin's Church
Waithe, St Martin's Church
An ancient country church that may date to the Saxon period. St Martin's was much restored in 1861 by architect James Fowler for the local Haigh family, using an Early English style.
As a result, the church is an interesting mix of authentic medieval and Victorian Gothic. The stomnework is a striking mix of red and white stones laid in bands, creating horizontal stripes. The chancel is highly decorated with colourful Minton tiles covering the floor, walls, and even the reredos, in a style that is almost Oriental in richness and intricacy. The stained glass is equally colourful, and the interior has numerous monuments to members of the Haigh family.

The oldest part of the church is the tower, which may well be part of a church at Waithe mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The tower has double-arched belfry openings, each crafted from a single block of stone.

St Martins is no longer used for regular worship and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.