St Mary's church, Ely
St Mary's from Silver Street
The church of St. Mary's was built in the early 13th century, though the tower was added during the 14th century. The church stands just a few hundred yards away from the cathedral, and in fact, St. Mary's is known to have been built by order of Bishop Eustace of Ely.

The design retains good examples of Norman work, particularly around the north door. Much of the stained glass is of modern vintage, as is the peal of 8 bells in the Decorated period tower. The interior has low, pointed arches supported on simple, smooth, columns. In fact, most of the interior contains little decoration, and the effect is subdued.

The former vicarage of the church is known as Oliver Cromwell's House, as the Cromwell family lived there for 11 years beginning in 1636. Cromwell's youngest daughter was baptised in the church in 1638.