Winster Market House
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: A good example of a traditional market hall
The Market House was built to serve as a local market, with dairy sold on the upper floor and miners and general traders using the ground floor.
The Market House was purchased by the National Trust for the princely sum of £50 in 1906 and was the first Trust property inside the Peak District National Park.
Much of that history relates to lead mining, for Winster was a centre for mining since Roman tiomes. During the 18th century a mining boom saw the population explode, turning Winster into one of the largest and busiest towns in the county, with a population of over 2,000. Unfortunately, that prosperity did not last; as the mines drove deeper into the earth they encountered serious flooding problems, and one by one they were forced to shut down. The last local mine closed in 1938, but long before then Winster had dwindled from a bust town into a sleepy village.
About Winster Market House
Address: Main Street, Winster, Derbyshire, England, DE4 2DJ
Attraction Type: Historic Building
Location: In the centre of Main Street. Open seasonally.
Website: Winster Market House
Phone: 01335 350503
National Trust - see also: National Trust memberships (official website link)
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Nine Ladies Stone Circle - 1.9 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Bonsall, St James Church - 2.8 miles (Historic Church)
Youlgreave, All Saints Church (Youlgrave) - 3 miles (Historic Church)
Cascades Gardens - 3.1 miles (Garden)
Caudwell's Mill - 3.3 miles (Historic Building)
Peak Cavern - 3.4 miles (Family Attraction)
Peak District Lead Mining Museum - 3.5 miles (Museum)
Haddon Hall - 3.6 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Accommodation to Winster Market House:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts
Visitor Information Point
Peak Rail Shop
Tel: 01629 761 103