Youlgreave, All Saints Church (Youlgrave)
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 12th century carving of a pilgrim, and the 1488 Cockayne tomb
HistoryRecords show that in the year 1050 the church in Youlgreave was granted to St Mary's Abbey in Leicester. The oldest part of the church is the nave and north aisle, built between 1150-1170, while the south aisle and chancel were added in the 14th century and the striking west tower a century later. The entire church was restored by Richard Norman Shaw in 1869. Unlike many Victorian church restorers Shaw had a light hand, and preserved much of the original medieval character and detailed stonework.
Facing the entrance, on the north wall of the nave, is a small 12th century carved figure thought to represent a robed pilgrim. Another small carved figure is set into the nave wall; this looks much older, possibly Saxon, and shows a figure standing between tall stalks of foliage. There is no information panel to suggest what it might represent. The nave roof is 15th century and features decorative bosses in the shape of grotesque creatures mixed with heraldic shields.
Also in the north aisle, look for the moving memorial window to Rennie Crompton Waterhouse of Lomberdale Hall, Middleton-by-Youlgreave, who died at Gallipoli in 1915. The window glass was gathered from the ruined cathedral at Ypres and other destroyed churches in Flanders, and brought back to Youlgreave by his brother Charles. Near the north aisle altar is a piscina supported on a wonderful carved head that appears to be of Norman date.
Cockayne's effigy is smaller than life sized, indicating that he died before his father. The entire altar tomb is just 3'6" long, and is decorated with heraldic shields added in 1873 by his descendants. According to the church guide, the effigy was discovered mouldering away in a barn.
The other chancel tomb is a worn effigy dated to the 13th century and thought to represent Sir John Rossington. Rising above the high altar is the great east window, with stained glass by the William Morris Company, designed by the Pre-Raphaelite master Edward Burne-Jones.
A note about namesThere seems to be confusion over whether this attractive village near Bakewell is properly called Youlgreave or Youlgrave, and you will see even official sources at odds with each other. We've chosen to go with Youlgreave, which is what Ordnance Survey use, and is what the church of England call the parish.
About Youlgreave, All Saints Church
Address: Alport Road, Youlgreave, Derbyshire, England, DE45 1WS
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: In the centre of the village, Usually open daylight hours.
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Haddon Hall - 1.9 miles (Historic House)
Nine Ladies Stone Circle - 2.4 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Bakewell, All Saints Church - 2.6 miles (Historic Church)
Old House Museum - 2.6 miles (Museum)
Caudwell's Mill - 2.8 miles (Historic Building)
Winster Market House - 3 miles (Historic Building)
Arbor Low - 3.3 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Monyash, St Leonard's Church - 4 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Youlgreave, All Saints Church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts
Visitor Information Point
Peak Rail Shop
Tel: 01629 761 103