Deudraeth Castle
Deudraeth Castle
The original Deudraeth Castle was built by Gruffydd ap Cynan beginning about 1175, making it one of the earliest Welsh castles to be built in stone. That castle is mentioned by Geraldus de Cambrensis in his "Journeys through Wales".
Little of that earlier castle remained in the mid 19th century when the property was aquired by David Williams. Williams, a wealthy attorney, built a fanciful villa in mock-Gothic style on a high promontory overlooking Portmeirion village. It is now a popular hotel and restaurant on the main road leading to Portmeirion.