South Stack Lighthouse
South Stack Lighthouse

A historic lighthouse in a superb location, South Stack Lighthouse was erected in 1809 on a small island off the north west coast of Holy Island. The lighthouse can only be reached by a steep set of over 400 steps from the mainland.
There are regular tours of the former lighthouse engine room, and there is a small exhibition area. You can also climb to the top of the lighthouse and get a wonderful closeup view of the light mechanism. The tower itself rises 28 metres high, and it was converted to electricity in 1938 and finally automated in 1983. The intensity of the light reaches 1,370,000 candela, which can be seen up to 20 nautical miles out to sea.

RSPB South Stack is located immediately south of the lighthouse, and is a  wonderful location to encounter thousands of breeding seabirds including guillemots, razorbills and puffins.

Our verdict: The lighthouse tour was very enjoyable, and was a big hit with our children, aged 6 and 12 at the time. The superb coastal location made the tour especially enjoyable.