Denbigh, St Hilary's Chapel
Denbigh, St Hilary's Chapel
The tower and a short section of wall is all that remains of a medieval chapel of ease dedicated to St Hilary, built into the late 13th century town walls of Denbigh. The chapel was created sometime around 1300 as a depency of Whitchurch just over a mile to the east.
The chapel would have been replaced by the magnificent 16th century church planned by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, but Leicester's plans came to naught. In 1874 the construction of a new church dedicated to St Mary meant that St Hilary's fell out of use and eventually became so decayed that all except the tower was demolished in 1923.

The original chapel had 5 bays in the nave, plus a chancel, north aisle, and a west tower. The surviving tower stands 15 metres high, and has a 15th century battlemented parapet with gargoyles projecting from it.

St Hilary with Denbigh Castle beyond
St Hilary with Denbigh Castle beyond
The blocked east door to the tower
The blocked east door to the tower
The tower top
The tower top