Abbey Cwm Hir Hall
Abbey Cwm Hir Hall
A Grade II* listed Victorian Gothic Revival mansion overlooking the ruins of the 12th century Cistercian Abbey (and incorporating carved stones from it). Each of the 52 rooms is open to owner-led tours and is carefully conceived to make a separate style statement.
The Hall was built in 1834 by Thomas Wilson. It was later purchased by the Philips family, who extended the house. Then in 1997 the Hall was bought by Paul and Victoria Humpherston, who restored the house and gardens. The interior features marble fireplaces, Gothic windows and stained glass, rococo ceilings, and a vaulted cellar.

Eclectic collections inside the house include old clocks, phonographs, and eccentric oddities like signs and packaging. Look for the Arthurian bedroom, bathroom themed with trains and castles, and collections of children's memorabilia. Abbey Cwm Hir Hall is one of the finest examples of Victorian Gothic domestic architecture in Wales.

The Hall is set in 12 acres of landscaped grounds incorporating walled garden, lake and waterfall, deciduous woodland, 4 courtyards and terraced gardens. Immediately beside the Hall is the medieval abbey, famous as the burial place of Llewellyn the Last.