St Gallgo's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Royal Charter memorials
HistoryThe church of St Gallgo can claim with some confidence to be one of the oldest Christian sites on Anglesey. Gallgo was the son of St Caw, from the Clyde valley who came to Anglesey in the early 6th century to escape the Pictish tribes then moving into what is now Scotland. Gallgo and his brother and sister were granted land on Anglesey by Maelgwn, King of Gwynedd. Each of the three family members established a llan, or church enclosure, within a mile or two of each other. There was a well near the cell, thought to have miraculous healing qualities. Each of the three siblings was buried in the oratories they had built. Nothing remains of these 6th century cells.
Tere was a church at Llanallgo recorded in 1254, but the oldest parts of the current building date to the 15th century. The only remnant of an earlier church is the bell, dating to the late 13th century. The bell has the imprint of a coin from the reign of Edward I, along with a Latin inscription that translates as 'Hail Mary full of grace'. The interior features a 1726 communion table and numerous memorials from the 17th-19th centuries.
The Royal CharterDespite its ancient origins St Gallgo is remembered primarily for one tragic 19th century event; the sinking of the steam clipper Royal Charter on 26 October 1849. The ship was bound from Victoria to Liverpool, bearing 400 passengers and a cargo of gold valued at £500,000.
The ship met a gale measured at Hurricane Force 12 on the Beaufort scale. The extreme winds drove it onto the rocks just north of Moelfre. The ship was pounded by high waves and started to brak up. One extraordinarily brave seaman named Guzi Ruggier (Joseph Rogers) somehow managed to swim ashore carrying a line, enabling 21 passegers and 18 crew to be saved.
Over 440 passengers and crew perished in the loss of the Royal Charter, the highest loss of life from a wreck on the Welsh coast. As bodies were fished out of the sea they were brought to St Gallo's, which served as a temporary mortuary. Rev Stephen Roose Hughes, rector of Llanallgo, conducted services for the dead in the nearby church school, helped by his brother Hugh, rector of a neighbouring parish. Hughes tried to identify the identities of the dead by their belongings and facial characteristics. He wrote over 1000 letters to the relatives and friends of the drowned.
Novelist Charles Dickens came to Anglesey to write about the tragic events of the sinking. He stayed with Rev. Hughes and was struck by the his enormous humanitarian efforts. Dickens wrote about the wreck in The Uncommercial Traveller.
The tragedy took its toll on Rev Hughes, who died just 3 years later. He is buried in the churchyard along with over 140 of the dead from the Royal Charter, and the anniversary of his death is marked at St Gallgo's, as is the anniversary of the Royal Charter wreck.
Everywhere you look around the churchyard there seems to a memorial to someone who died in the wreck. In the graveyard is an obelisk acting as a memorial to the dead. It was erected by public subscription and originally stood inside the church, over the burial place of those who had not been identified, but it was moved into the graveyard in the early 20th century.
About St Gallgo's Church
Address: Llanallgo, Anglesey, Anglesey, Gwynedd, Wales, LL72 8NE
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: On the A5025
Website: St Gallgo's Church
OS: SH500 852
Photo Credit: Keith Williamson, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Lligwy Burial Chamber - 0.6 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Din Lligwy ancient settlement - 0.7 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Hen Capel Lligwy - 0.9 miles (Historic Church)
Llaneilian Church - 5.2 miles (Historic Church)
Castell Aberlleiniog - 8 miles (Castle)
Penmon Cross - 8.4 miles (Historic Church)
Beaumaris, St Mary and St Nicholas - 8.5 miles (Historic Church)
Penmon Priory - 8.5 miles (Abbey)
Nearest Accommodation to St Gallgo's Church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts