A small, attractive village to the north of the Sussex Downs, in the shadow of Black Down. The village is of ancient origins and dates back at least to the Roman period. The most famous resident of Lurgashall was Alfred, Lord Tennyson, who lived at Aldworth House. Lurgashall, West Sussex, England
A lovely village near the south coast of West Sussex. The settlement dates to at least the 9th century, for it is mentioned in the will of Alfred the Great. A famous tale is associated with Lyminster; it is said that a dragon terrorized the neighbourhood from its lair in a deep pool, known as Knuckler Hole, which can be seen northwest of the parish church of St Mary Magdalene. Lyminster, West Sussex, England
A historic market town on the River Rother. The Norman lord Savaric Fitzcane built a fortified house atop St Anne's Hill, and the current town grew up around the castle fortifications. Around the year 1300, the manor was in the hands of the powerful de Bohun family, who built a new house by the riverside. This house became known as Cowdray House, from the word 'coudrier', or hazel thicket. Midhurst, West Sussex, England
One of the prettiest towns in West Sussex - or in Britain, for that matter - Petworth is home to one of the finest stately homes in England, Petworth House, a 17th-century mansion set in superb grounds laid out by Capability Brown for Charles, Duke of Somerset.
An old market town at the confluence of the Rivers Arun and Rother, Pulborough stands on the route of the Roman Stane Street. The oldest part of the village is a conservation area and has a mix of attractive medieval, Tudor and later Georgian houses. Pulborough, West Sussex, England
A quiet old village of lovely half-timbered buildings. Rusper grew up around a late 12th-century Benedictine priory, probably founded by a member of the powerful Braose family. The priory was under the leadership of an abbess, and was never very flush in the pocket, having at its height only seven sisters.
A historic seaside town, famous for its crab fishery, Selsey is located at the southernmost point of West Sussex. Much of the town centre is composed of old Georgian houses. Even older is Sessions House, a medieval building later used as a court by the Lord of Selsey Manor. Selsey, West Sussex, England
This pleasant village takes its name from the old Saxon term for a sheep pasture. It is the second-largest parish in all of Sussex, and home to a superb 12th-century church. Today Shipley is little more than a scattered hamlet, but in the medieval periods, it was larger and more important than Horsham. Shipley, West Sussex, England
A quiet village that is home to the Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve. The reserve is an important breeding area for over 200 species of birds who are attracted to the wide expanse of tidal mudflats. Guided walks around the reserve leave from Sidlesham Ferry. The Reserve stretches to over 1500 acres, composed of saltmarsh, mudflats, farmland, reed beds and shingle beaches. Sidlesham, West Sussex, England
The Dean Inn at West Dean has been the local village meeting place for the past 200 years. Set in the valley of the River Lavant in the South Downs The Dean is 5 miles north of the Cathedral city of Chichester on the A286 and 5 miles south of …