Caer Penrhos
Caer Penrhos
Caer Penrhos is an earthen ringwork fortification possibly built by Cadwaladr, son of Grufudd ap Cynan, sometime around 1149. The castle is a ringwork fortification set within an earlier Iron Age earthwork. The views are superb.
In 1151 the castle was taken by Lord Rhys's three brothers. It was quickly retaken by Hywel  ab Owain Gwynedd, who killed the garrison and destroyed the fortifications. It then passed into the hands of the Norman Roger de Clare. It disappears from the historical record after 1158. It may have diminished in importance in comparison to nearby Trefilan Castle.

Note: Caer Penrhos is sometimes called Llanrhystud Castle.